Friday, October 10, 2008

Update on Trudis


I, Trudis, get to post today because of the following reasons:

1. We had no post last Monday which is the day we doggies blog, because our Secretary fell asleep while taking dictations, can you believe that??? It turns out she had a nasty hangover from watching (non stop) four seasons of House, M.D during the weekend (none of us dogs have a pair of opposable thumbs so we cannot fire our Secretary); plus

3. I need to update my online buddies with the state of my health after my Wednesday trip to the emergency room that got some worried.

That fateful morning, I was woken up by my tummy making somersaults and weird noises. It took long for the new Assistant to open my house ( and you know that I don't poop inside my house, its just not ladylike) so there I was, shifting in my seat trying to hold it in until one considerate soul finally let me out. I can't even begin to describe the massive explosion that took place at the end of my bum, but my tummy felt better afterwards.

I went over to Jappy, but in the middle of biting his face, my tummy did a double sommersault and its contents ( or whatever was left of it) threatened to come out, this time from my mouth. I thought I would feel better after unloading my entire dinner the previous night, but suddenly I got woosy and dizzy. . . And of course you know the rest of the story.

The result of my blood test came out yesterday and indicated that my liver enzymes were three times the normal value for dogs. The Animal Doctor didn't think there was a direct correlation with this and my fainting episode. With my symptoms, he's thinking that I went into hypovolemic shock from the vomiting and pooping that I made that morning. Nevertheless, I am taking medicines for my liver. I feel perfectly fine now, except that, as a result of the incident, my outdoor playtime was drastically curtailed. Boo-hoo.

My original playmates actually let me play with them.


The Secretary's Note: One late night in 2001 , I found my spitz, Dexter lying motionless in our garden. His gums were black and when I lifted him up, water and blood gushed out of his rectum. There was blood in the garage a few minutes earlier when I came looking for him; and days before, I also saw droplets of blood in our porch which I thought came from an injured bird because the dogs looked fine. Dexter quickly recovered after our midnight trip to the vet, but the vet was unable to explain what caused the sudden onset of Dexter's symptoms. Frustrated, I did my own research and ended up with the term hypovolemic shock and acute hemorrhagic gastritis. The dogs had subsequent episodes of bloody poop after Dexter's incident which eventually resolved after I got them on probiotics. Years later, I discussed my experience with the Animal Doctor who validated my "findings". I would never advise anyone to play doctor for their dogs (marry a vet if you can), but having basic knowledge of animal diseases and symptoms that require immediate trip to the vet, you too can help save your dog's life.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update on Trudis. I hope this condition can be kept under control. I never heard of such a thing happening. Do you know what really causes it? Is it possible that both dogs may have ingested something from outdoors that's similar, or is it just a malfunction of the liver? Please keep us up-to-date.

    Ha ha, I should take your advice and marry a vet. I wonder how to go about finding one who is single. It would save me a lot of money.. :)

    T-man's mom, CC-man and T-man Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling a little better Trudis, rest up and take good care of yourself ok?

    have a great weekend,

    Ben xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Trudis!
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. I was worried not knowing what was happening with you!
    My mom goes into panic attack everytime she sees something different on me!
    I hope you all have a great weekend!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  4. @t-man's mom
    - we think Trudis ingested something toxic ( rotten food or a bug) and her liver took all the blow. the medicines should help clear the toxin and the allow the liver to heal.

    dexter's case was something else. he was on several courses of antibiotics which disrupted the normal flora of "good bacteria" in his gut. i didnt realize back then that they were the good guys, that they help dex digest his food and defend him against the bad bacteria. a simple case of indigestion could bring the bad guys and without the gut's trusty army, a severe infection could ensue.

    Yes, its so hard to find a veterinarian who is still single these days. I found the Animal Doctor at an online forum for animal lovers. Years before that, I also tried hanging around the university's animal clinic, praying for a vet to notice me. Well, we animal lovers are capable of doing crazy things in the name of love! :)

    @ben and lorenza,

    thank you so much for wishing trudis to get well soon! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

Our Dogs in Iloilo City