Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Bone shape

I finally found a bone shaped cookie cutter so while I was in Iloilo last weekend, I tried a dog biscuit recipe I found in the internet. I wanted to try Ben's recipe but it called for milk which my dogs do not tolerate well.

I made these biscuits using 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/4 cup water, 3/4 cup beef broth and 2 tsp canola oil. The original recipe called for whole wheat flour and safflower oil, but I made use of what's available at the local store.



I mixed the wet ingredients first then added the dry ingredients after, until I ended with a beautiful brown lump( moist but not sticky) that I flattened into a 1/4 sheet using my rolling pin. What's nice about making biscuits is that you don't need to be so precise with your measurements. If the dough is too wet, you just add a little more flour; and if its too dry, you add a little water.



Oopss, I forgot how long I baked them! I knew the biscuits were done when they turned golden brown like that above, and the insides after breaking a biscuit in two, are dry. These biscuits should not be kept in air tight containers or inside the refrigerator because of their tendency to form molds due to moisture.

Now here comes the most feared part: The Judgment.


Associate Justice

Goobled biscuit in one second, poop looked okay the next day.


Chief Justice


Gobbled biscuit in two seconds, poop looked okay the next day.


Verdict: Peanut butter dog biscuit is a delicious and safe treat for dogs
and may be eaten by humans too.



9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    My mom has been looking for one of those bone cutters but she can't find them here. Well, if you can't find dog toys... much less bone shaped cutters, right?
    Have a good night
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW those look like yummy treats!!

    Love the pictures the little cuties eating them!

    I will ask our resident cook to make some!

    Kisses
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like DeeDee was more picky than HB.. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trudis you are a very generous person! Based on your comment we are going to add another gift to mail. We would like to send you something.

    Please email us your mailing address at raisingaddie at gmail dot com

    Kisses
    Addie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a lot of fun! And your judges are extremely cute and adorable :-)

    Shelly & Tommy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow!!! doggie biscuits made by mommi! that must be very delish.. were trudis, moymoy and co. able to eat some?

    i should paw at my manang and get her to make me some. otherwise, i'm not talking to her anymore! hahaha...

    drooly kisses,

    Aki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! Humans stealing the dogs' biscuits? Tasty!

    My folks never chow down on my treats. But that may be because they're made of animal livers. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look nice and taste good by the looks of your taste testers. :-)

    I should bake something for my two like those sometime. I have to be careful what treats they eat as they both have delicate stomachs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Secretary,

    So, you don't think I'm too big to be Casper's girlfriend?

    Hey, you made doggie treats! My friend, Jasmine the Eskie, just sent me a bone shaped cookie cutter!!!! My Mom is going to make me homemade treats next weekend. She found a recipe that calls for cheddar cheese -- yum! You are smart in checking the poop afterwards. My Mom says she will give me a couple of the home made treats and then check my poop for two days to make sure all is well before giving me more treats. But, all that is next weekend. Glad I have something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you!

Our Dogs in Iloilo City